Prince Albert II was photographed earlier today at the start of the 60th Monte Carlo TV festival without his wife Princess Charlene amid a high profile paternity suit.
The Princess, 43, travelled to South Africa earlier this year where she has a wildlife foundation – and Albert and their children twins Princess Gabriella and Hereditary Prince Jacques flew to South Africa to visit Charlene two weeks ago.
The former South African Olympian had been due to return to Monaco for the principality’s Grand Prix which took place on May 26 where she was guest of honour.
However, she has not yet been seen in Monaco and royal officials said the princess was unable to travel because she had an ear nose and throat infection.
Prince Albert II of Monaco, left, was photographed next to Darren Star who was given the Monte Carlo TV festival’s Golden Nymph award for his role in creating top shows such as Sex in the City and Beverly Hills 90210
Princess Charlene, pictured, has spent several months in South Africa to promote her wildlife foundation
When did Princess Charlene travel to South Africa and when was she last seen with her husband?
January 27 – Charlene is pictured with Albert for the Sainte Devote Ceremony in Monaco.
March 18 – Charlene is pictured at the memorial for the late Zulu monarch, King Goodwill Zwelithini at the KwaKhethomthandayo Royal Palace in Nongoma, South Africa
April 2 – Charlene posts an Instagram picture of herself, Albert and their twins Jacques and Gabriella for Easter.
It is unknown where the image was taken.
May 8 – Albert, Jacques and Gabriella attend a Grand Prix event in Monaco
May 10 – Albert attends Monaco Gala Awards in Monaco
May 18 – Charlene shares her first picture from her conservation trip in South Africa
June 1 – Prince Albert II, Jacques and Gabriella attend event at Oceanic Museum in Monaco
June 3 – New photos emerge of Charlene on her conservation trip
June 5- Charlene puts on a united front as she shares a photo with her family to mark her niece’s fifth birthday with her brother’s family and Albert and the twins. It is not known where the pictured was taken
The prince, 63, has been embroiled in a paternity scandal after a woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, alleged the royal is the father of her 15-year-old daughter.
The palace were forced to comment on the princess’s whereabouts ahead of the Monaco Grand Prix, which she had been due to attend with Albert.
In a statement issued at the time, the Royal Palace said: ‘During a trip to the African continent as part of a wildlife conservation mission, SAS Princess Charlene contracted an ENT infection that does not allow her to travel.
‘Unfortunately, she will not be able to attend the Monaco Formula 1 Grand Prix. SAS The Princess Charlene sends her best wishes to the Automobile Club of Monaco, organizer of the event, as well as to the drivers and teams involved in this great automobile competition.’
Instead the prince attended alone with their children.
The 63-year-old prince, who already supports two illegitimate children, is alleged to have had a relationship with a Brazilian woman which resulted in a daughter in 2005.
The claim, which his lawyers dismissed as a ‘hoax’, is particularly painful as he was dating Charlene at the time, having met the former Olympic swimmer in 2000.
The 34-year-old claimant – who cannot be named for legal reasons – says she had a passionate affair with Albert, leading to the birth of their daughter – whose name is also classified – on July 4, 2005.
Albert received a handwritten letter from the child, who is now 15, in September last year reading: ‘I don’t understand why I grew up without a father, and now that I have found you, you don’t want to see me.’
Legal papers were also filed, as lawyers for the claimant called on Albert to undergo a DNA test – just as he did before finally being identified as the father of two illegitimate children born in the 1990s and early 2000s.
In January, Charlene spoke publicly for the first time since the allegations, telling Point de Vue: ‘When my husband has problems, he tells me about it. I often tell him, “No matter what, no matter what, I’m a thousand percent behind you. I’ll stand by you whatever you do, in good times or in bad.”
She has not been pictured in Monaco with her husband since late January and she’s believed to have travelled to South Africa in mid-March.
The mother-of-two went on to say she also often tells her husband she will ‘protect him’ and will ‘always be by his side.’
Charlene, who was raised in South Africa and represented the country at the 2000 Sydney Olympics, travelled to Thanda Safari in KwaZulu-Natal to learn more about being done by the Princess Charlene of Monaco Foundation South Africa to help save rhinos from poachers.
The princess took part in conservation operations including rhino monitoring and tracking, deployment with the Anti-Poaching Unit, educational wildlife photography sessions, and a White Rhino dart and dehorning exercise.
Princess Charlene of Monaco, who hasn’t been spotted in the principality since the turn of the year, took to Instagram to share a sweet picture of her and the family
The royal, 43, put on a united front with her six-year-old twins and husband Albert, 63, as the family gathered around a birthday cake with Charlene’s brother Sean Wittstock, 37, his wife Chantell, 34, their eldest son Raigen, 7, and the birthday girl
Passionate: Charlene, who was raised in South Africa and represented the country at the 2000 Sydney Olympics, travelled to Thanda Safari in KwaZulu-Natal to learn more about being done by the Princess Charlene of Monaco Foundation South Africa to help save rhinos
Flying solo! Her husband Prince Albert has continued with public duties with their children, taking them to the Oceanographic Museum of Monaco on Monday (pictured)
Last public outing together: Charlene and Albert were last pictured together in public in January at the Sainte Devote Ceremony in Monaco. On April 2, she shared a photograph alongside her husband Prince Albert and their children Jacques and Gabriella to mark Easter, although it is not clear where it was taken
Prince Albert stepped out at the Monaco Gran Prix on 22 May in Monte Carlo without his wife, Charlene, after an ‘infection’ prevented her from returning from South Africa
Photos of Princess Charlene with the animals and rangers were shared on Instagram.
‘This entire experience moved me,’ Charlene said.
‘I connected with amazing people and spoke to the local trackers and anti-poaching units who all have an incredible passion for protecting our rhinos and environment.’
She continued: ‘It filled me with immense joy to reconnect with the African people and spirit again. I was fascinated to learn more about the area’s history and culture.
‘How fitting to rediscover my love for Africa at a place aptly named Thanda, meaning “love” in the Zulu language!’